5 Surprising Characteristics of Churches That Are Actually Reaching the Next Generation

I saw this blog post posted on my bishop’s site.  After reading it, it really makes sense.  Mostly, it is trusting that God is in charge and the Holy Spirit is guiding us, should we choose to respond to the Spirit Of Truth.  Take a look, see what you think.   http://careynieuwhof.com/2015/10/5-surprising-characteristics-of-churches-that-are-actually-reaching-the-next-generation/

Church Bullies

Below is a very interesting article about bullies in the church. In the past I have seen this behavior by members of a church.  I saw a pastor leave a congregation following some of this behavior.  The title is indicates that there are good reasons, however the good reasons are from the bully perspective. The … [Read more…]

Where is Jesus?

Sunday, December 27, 2015 | Christmas First Sunday after Christmas:  Holy Family Year C Old Testament    1 Samuel 2:18–20, 26 New Testament Colossians 3:12–17 Gospel           Luke 2:41–52   On Christmas Eve, I asked the question, “Where is the Messiah?”  Just where is Jesus in this world around us.  Even when Jesus was a … [Read more…]

Tell the Good News, Be the Light

Currently the sermons and services are not being recorded at Calvary. Sorry for any  inconvenience this may have caused. Thursday, December 24, 2015 Christmas Nativity of the Lord Old Testament Isaiah 9:2-7 New Testament  Titus 2:11-14 Gospel  Luke 1:1-20 The time of Advent, the time of waiting for the birth of a savior can be … [Read more…]

Brokenness

Audio Version Sunday November 8, 2015 After Pentecost Proper 27 Year B Old Testament 1 Kings 17:8–16 New Testament Hebrews 9:24–28 Gospel Mark 12:38–44 The scriptures we have today are ones that can be easily misused against people.  It would be very easy to take both the 1 Kings text and the Mark text and … [Read more…]

Baptism Changes Our Reality

Audio Link Sunday, June 7, 2015 | After Pentecost Genesis 3:8-15 Psalm 130: 1-8 2 Corinthians 4:13–5:1 Mark 3:20–35 Isn’t it nice that we are in a different gospel today? Oh don’t get me wrong, John is great stuff, but it is nice to have another perspective of the gospel too. Last time I was … [Read more…]

I Am the Vine: You are the Branches Made New in Baptism

Unfortunately the Video and Audio is not available for this particular sermon. Fifth Sunday of Easter, May 3rd, 2015 Acts 8:26-40 Psalm 22:25-31 1 John 4:7-21 John 15:1-8 Jesus says that He is the Vine and we hear that we are the branches. In baptismal language, we have been grafted into Jesus’s family as branches … [Read more…]

The Greatest Story Ever Told

Audio Version 1 Corinthians 9:16–23 Mark 1:29–39 Sickness, not being whole, comes in all forms. Our sins, keep us from being whole, as God intended. We cannot make ourselves whole. We are a broken people in need of healing. The greatest story every told, the gospel of Jesus Christ, tells us of how to be … [Read more…]

Who are we?

I think many people have a preconceived notion of just what/who Native Americans are and how they act.  These brought on by our inaccurate recorded history, movies, books, articles and news stories.  I have posted two videos here. One is a news story done by Diane Sawyer did on the Lakota Children of Pine Ridge … [Read more…]